Okay, the candy isn’t really for the orangutans. But you can help them by buying halloween candy that is made from sustainable palm oil. Use of non-sustainable palm oil production leads to deforestation of the orangutan’s home.
The Columbus Zoo offers this list of candy companies that are committed to using certified sustainable palm oil. We hope you help by supporting these companies.
Company Name & Example Snack Name
- Nestle Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Crunch Bar
- Wonka (Nestle) Sweetarts, Bottle Caps, Laffy Taffy, Nerds
- ConAgra Fiddle Faddle, Crunch & Munch, Poppy Cock
- Kellogg’s Rice Krispie Treats, Fruity Snacks, Pop Tarts
- Kellogg’s Austin Crackers (all varieties)
- Kellogg’s All Keebler Brand Cookies
- PepsiCo (Frito Lay) Cheetos, Doritos
- PepsiCo Grandma’s Cookies
- Hershey’s Twizzlers, Jolly Ranchers, Whoppers
- Hershey’s Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Almond Joy
- Hershey’s Mr. Goodbar, Heath Bars, Milk Duds
- Mars Snickers, Twix, M&M’s, 3 Musketeers
- Mars Milky Way, Skittles, Dove Chocolates
- Justin’s Peanut Butter Cups, NutButter (All flavors)
- Lindt and Spungli Lindor Truffles (All flavors)
- Ghirardelli All flavors
- Walmart Great Value Brand products (Candy, Cookies, Crackers etc.)
Note: Any products made by Nestle, Kellogg’s, PepsiCo (Frito Lay), Hershey’s, Mars, Walmart (Great Value Brand) and ConAgra (even if not listed above) are good choices as they are all members of the RSPO.